EMBC+ internship information
After the spring school students have the option of undertaking an internship at one of the EMBC+ consortium members. The internship takes place during the first academic year of the EMBC+ programme during the period between 17th April and 16th June 2017 (unless agreed otherwise). An internship of 12 credits should not exceed 2 months and should contain a workload of at least 240 hours. An internship of 6 credits should not exceed 1 month and should contain a workload of at least 120 hours.
The internship is a period of observation and practical training. It is part of the university experience and is intended to complement coursework. The main objective is to become familiar with different workplace functions and roles expected for a particular profession. The internship should allow the student to understand how knowledge and skills acquired during their coursework may be applied to solving problems in real world situations.
Internship guidelines are reviewed on a yearly basis and the latest guidelines can be downloaded here.
Internship topics & selection
Internship topics are offered by members of the EMBC+ consortium. Students can select an internship topic from the EMBC+ internship catalogue and contact the supervisor directly. After mutual agreement with the internship responsible, an internship contract will arrange the rights and duties of both the intern and internship provider.
Who can submit internship topics
In principle only members of the EMBC+ consortium can offer an internship. Note that internships should be posted through the appropriate form by internship providers and not by students.
Evaluation of the internship
At the end of the internship, the host organisation provides an internship completion certificate. This certificate shall only be awarded if the host organisation (through the supervisor) and the academic contact agree on the quality of the work accomplished by the intern. The supervisor and the academic contact will jointly decide on the grade.
- Call for internship topics will be launched among EMBC+ partners on 21 September 2016
- Internship topics should be uploaded through the appropriate form by 20 October 2016.
- After approval by the EMBC+ management board, a catalogue of topics will be posted on the Marine training website (marinetraining.eu) on 28 October 2016.
- By 9 January 2017 student should select their internship after mutual agreement with the internship responsible. An internship contract will arrange the rights and duties of both the intern and internship provider.
- Internship takes place between the 24 April and 16 June 2017.
- Deadline submission mid-term report internship (12 ECTS) via the EMBC student page on 19 May 2017.
- The final internship activity report shall be uploaded on the EMBC+ student page within two weeks after the internship activity.
- The internship provider shall be contacted by the academic responsibles for EMBC+ Internships (Prof. dr. Ann Vanreusel and Dr. Tim Deprez) for feedback about the performance of the intern.